The day is traditionally started by the marathon. This year was the 26th edition of the race. To give you an idea of the event here are some figures for this year 2009
- 4008 kids ran the Lazy Town race.
- 1723 persons were registered for the Fun race (3kms)
- 3527 persons were registered for the 10kms
- 1559 persons were registered for the half marathon
- 670 persons were registered for the marathon
- 450 persons took part in the logistic, safety of the various events.
During the day, throughout town, you can go to museum for free, you have free concerts, you have street artists. One person needs to be mentioned but is remaining anonymous, is the person who painted the Hummer of Björgólfs Thors Björgólfsson (one of many Icelandic crooks). I suppose the title of such an art piece would be "people taking justice into their own hands". Some previous mural works were also done on the houses of Björgólfur Guðmundsson and Hannes Smárason, the former heads of Landsbanki and FL Group.
The day is closed by a firework paid by Orkuveita Reykjavíkur. The company spend the same amount of money on the firework display this year than last year but as the króna went down this only makes half the quantity of fireworks...